Tuesday

I'm just sayin'

To go along with my arthritis and laugh lines, I feel like I should begin this post with something like, "Kids these days!" or "Whipper snappers!"
Just yesterday, I was standing in line at the Wal-Mart photo pick-up counter and overheard a conversation between two teenage girls that perked my interest:

Teenage girl 1: So like my mom hates it when I say, "Wuz up?"

Teenage girl 2: Why?

Teenage girl 1: Dunno. She just said that she hates it when people say "Wuz up?" She says that it's rude or whatever.

Teenage girl 2: (with great indignation) What?!

Teenage girl 1: I know, right? I mean, what are we supposed to say (in a mocking tone and slightly British affect) "Hullo. How do you do today?" (roll eyes)

Both Teenage girls: giggle. giggle.

I don't really have a moral to this story. Except to say that I am so amused by the evolution and acceptability of common phraseology. I remember when it was a HUGE faux pas to say, "That's sucks." That sort of talk would have definitely warranted a reprimand just a mere decade ago. Now, it's the norm. And, of course, there are a multitude of other hip new terms and urban phrases that I dare not utter--not necessarily because they are rude or crude, but simply because I'm fairly positive that if they ever passed my lips they would sound absolutely ridiculous. I can honestly say I've never said anything was "the bomb." I've never used the now common portmanteau "chillax." And, the Lord knows, I can't even translate most texting abbreviations, much less say them with my mouth. What will they come up with next?

I don't recall any of my children ever using the greeting "Wuz up?" But, I don't really share Teenage Girl 1's mother's opinion of it. I think "Wuz up?" is fine. Perhaps not the most formal greeting, but nothing to get worked up about.

Now, what is currently becoming slightly psychologically chaffing for me is my 3 year old's new greeting. It doesn't matter if he's seen me just moments before or if he's emerging from a 3 hour nap, these days he greets me with the same phrase. He'll use it to initiate conversation while we are in the grocery store or as he's running past me at the park. Quite often, if I catch him in a bit of mischief, he'll toss it out in an effort to verbally distract me. Basically, it's his go-to. I probably hear it half a dozen times a day. Sometimes his tone is genuinely inquisitive. Sometimes he says it assertively--almost accusatory, like a high school teacher bouncing a question off a student who's been talking in class. But, mostly he just rattles it off. . .

"Hey, what are trees made out of?"

I don't even know how to respond sometimes really. Whipper snappers!

No comments: