Wednesday

Encouragement for Mothers of Super Villains

"I am dah bad guy. I dah BAD guy. I am dah BAD guy. I am dah BAD guy. I am dah BAD guy. . ."(and so on and so on)

I am not one of those mothers who prohibits the sort of imaginary play whereby there are bad guys and good guys. I am not one of those mothers who prohibits playing with play guns, swords, knives, and other sorts of make-believe combat weaponry. I do not particularly like weapons--we're not hunters, we're not military. . .I've never really understood why one would think this sort of play is fun, but then I don't have a Y chromosome. Plus, in my limited career in mothering I have observed that regardless of whether or not I supply the play weapons, my boys have an unmitigated talent for turning basic household items into an arsenal. And, although I'm aware that pretend weapons are taboo in some circles, I tend not to get worked up by this issue.

BUT. . .After a full ten minutes of hearing one's 2 year old chant "I am dah bad guy" whilst expertly wielding a light saber in one hand and a nerf gun in the other, one becomes--well, concerned. It got to me. I had to intervene.


Me: Hey, you know what. . .I think that you would be a great good guy.

Him: Nah.

Me: Oh yes. And I think Jesus really wants you to be a good guy. You could help people.

Him: Nope.

Me: Hey, you could fight the bad guys!

Him: Oh yeah. I dah GOOD guy. . .I dah GOOD guy. . .I dah GOOD guy. . .(and so on and so on)

And this, mothers of super villains, is how to turn a BAD guy GOOD.

2 comments:

Becky said...

That's an awesome turnaround... We all need to file that little trick away for the future!!

These Boys' Mom said...

While I completely agree that this is an amazing outcome, I'd bet it is a small segment of the general population who are as motivated by combat as is my 2 year old! Thanks, Becky! ;-)