
My parents have 6 children. My sister was the second of the 6 to get married, just less than one month ago. It was really the most beautiful wedding, but as all big life-changing family events go, it's taken me a few weeks to truly consider what just happened.
Over the course of the last few weeks, there have been countless "How was the wedding?" questions. . .Each time I answer, I realize that I've uncovered yet another happy memory worthy of retelling. So, here's the first in my series of "How was the wedding?" posts:
So, you know you are at a Catholic wedding when you explicitly tell your 4 year old and your 7 year old to "stay near and obey your uncles during Mass."
Yet, the excitement which invades the soul during such blessed events must have some sort of adverse effect on my 4 year old ring bearer's hearing. How else could one explain this same 4 year ring bearer's behavior?
As I am standing at my one and only sister's side during her exchange of vows, intending to focus and savor every special micro-moment, I catch glimpse of a rogue ring bearer. Apparently, apart from his poor listening skills, he found that his "during the vows" assigned standing spot was not so much to his liking. He spotted much better vantage point a little ways beyond. So, 4 year old ring bearer quietly quit his assigned spot next to his care-taking uncle and made his way aloft to his better place.
This is when I notice him (as does his father who is helplessly holding the 2 year old ring bearer who was fired at the rehearsal, but still looking every bit the part in his dandy wedding attire). A testament to our own sacramental bonds made just 9 years prior, our hearts start racing at the exact same quickness. . .
The 4 year old found his better place wedged in the 6 inches between the lectern and the burning Easter candle! AHHHHHH! As my sister and her groom are uniting in holy matrimony, my thoughts leave them. . .immediately, I try my telepathy. "Move." "Do not push on the Easter candle!" "Go back to your uncle!" No avail. Then the questions start scrolling in my brain: "How can I get him out of there?" "Should I nonchalantly make my way across the altar to intervene and save us all?" "Will my sister forgive me if I do?" "Will the flames immediately consume us all and this 100 year old church if I don't?" I finally resorted to the thing I should have been doing all along. . .I began to pray.
Then, it happened. His eyes caught mine. Now, care-taking uncle joins us in our locked gaze. At this moment, the Holy Spirit became the vehicle for all the unspeakable things that needed to be communicated among us three.
4 year old ring bearer carefully extricated himself from his cozy niche. Care-taking uncle beckoned him down from the altar, back to his side. I return to my original intent. And my sister weds her groom in one of the most beautiful weddings I have ever attended.
No comments:
Post a Comment