The boys and I have taken up a lovely habit. We've started watching Little House on the Prairie. Yep, that's right. I am forcing my 3 little boys to watch a dated television series about 3 little girls. And, guess what? They love it. Maybe it's the balance of the testosterone and the estrogen? I don't know, but I'm not asking questions. And I'm loving it. What a great show! It's packed from start to finish with good manners, good values, good lessons, and just plain old fashioned goodness. You don't get any of that from Spongebob.
I say they "love" it. . .and I do think this is true. I hold as exhibit A the very fact that every night after dinner they ask to watch an episode (we're DVRing them). Yet, #2 is struggling. Or being challenged? In any case, he is having some emotional responses to the content of LHOTP. In one episode, a family traveling West met Mr. Ingles and asked him to assist them in their journey. He, of course, obliged. While traveling together, the 2 children in the family were riding with Mr. Ingles in his buggy and were witness to a horrible horse and buggy accident involving and killing their parents. The children were left orphans. This tore #2 up. He asked the next night if we could just "fast forward" through any bad parts in the next episode. I said, "maybe." He asks this every episode now--and I always respond "maybe," but we always end up watching the episode in its entirety.
I tried to explain to #2 that we can't just fast forward through the conflict because then we wouldn't understand the resolution (digging up my literature terminology!--see my college degree is useful!!!). He didn't get it. I tried harder to explain.
Then, one night at dinner the boys asked to watch an episode. I consented and once again #2 asked his infamous question. I huffed and puffed for an answer which would further understanding. #1 came to my rescue. . . He explained. . .
#1: We can't just watch only the happy stuff.
#2: But, why?
#1: Because the sad stuff makes the happy stuff better.
#2: (satisfied for the time being) Oh.
And such is the philosophy of life. At the beginning of each new year, I think to myself about the year past--the good and the bad, the happy and the sad. Looking backwards, it's easy to see how all the sad stuff does indeed help make the the happy stuff, well, better. It's like all those holes in your heart dug out by hurt, loss, and sadness somehow become open vessels for filling up with hope, love, and joy. And this is something that even an 8 year old can understand--and a 33 year old!
No comments:
Post a Comment