Sunday

Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde


I had a really hard time not naming this post: The Apple Doesn't Fall Far from the Tree.

And so with this retelling, I am reflecting and realizing that I have at least one more addition to my list of New Year resolutions.

We've had a long string of viral malaise this holiday season. From upper respiratory to lower GI. . .let's just say lots of laundry has been done in recent days. Poor #1 is our current victim and is suffering from the ick of the upper respiratory sort. Apart from his uber-cute raspy voice, it's been a hard few days for him (and us). At breakfast, #2 made the point of acknowledging his brother's difficult middle of the night coughing bouts the night before. He also did a remarkable imitation of his mother and highlighted yet another thing I need to work on in the coming year!

And so, at the breakfast table.

#2: (speaking to #1 in the sweetest, honestly sincere, most comforting and loving voice one can imagine) Gosh, I'm really sorry you were so sick last night. It made me so sad that you were so sick.

#3: (speaking under his general--and mistaken--assumption that all things pertain to him) Oh, yeah. . .that's okay.

#2: (instantly transformed by his annoyance at his little brother's butt-in and now speaking in the most rotten, throaty, grouch grumble ever there was) NOT YOU!!! I'M NOT EVEN TALKING TO YOU!


Wow. . .that was painful. After appropriate apologies and instruction, I am slightly amused by the Jeckle and Hyde performance of my second born. And I'm also totally ashamed to admit that I'm pretty sure he learned it from me. Work to do. . .work to do. . .

No comments: