This election season also provided me with a new opportunity to challenge and hone my own political convictions. Now, I readily admit that I am a strong social conservative and a member of the Republican party with McCain stickers on the back windows of both of our cars. I have no doubt that my personal views on political matters are in some way shaping the views of my children along the way. Even so, I have been surprised to find that my children are helping shape me as well. Case in point:
While watching some afternoon cartoons recently, the boys and I were subjected to a commercial for the Nickelodeon Kids Pick the President election. Now, I'm not at all opposed to children learning about our political system, but I was highly annoyed by the indignant commentary which accompanied this commercial communicating that it is "unfair" that kids can't vote. So, I turned off the TV and we went outside.
While enjoying the fresh air, I asked my 2 older boys why they thought children couldn't vote. #2 said, "Because they aren't old enough." So far so good. Then I turned to #1 who very insightfully responded, "Because children don't understand the issues." BINGO!!! As I began to congratulate him on his brilliant answer, he interrupted: "But, I do. That's why I'm a Republican."
I must admit, for a shining second my conservative heart melted. Then, I totally ruined a perfectly beautiful moment between my Republican self and my child. For the best, I hope. In a moment that should have been totally self-affirming, I chose a different path. I explained to my son that I did not think it wise for children to be Republican, Democrat, or a member of any political party. Instead, I offered, it would be much better if he loved Jesus, were a good Catholic and prayed hard that God's will be done. I was rewarded with a big smile and some reassurance that I had rendered unto Caesar and God appropriately.
But, the top election day news for this family is the happy announcement that our first born has been elected the Vice President for his 2nd grade class! In other news: we went to Mass this morning to pray for our country and my newly turned 21 year old brother (Happy Birthday, baby brother!), we made our patriotic walk to cast our votes, we made a batch of yummy election day brownies and we spent most of this election day doing this:
No comments:
Post a Comment