Thursday

The Golden Rule Gets Tarnished

Recently, the two younger boys were enjoying the 111 degree weather by playing indoors and testing my capacity for patience.  They are truly generous boys, with a great desire to up my game in the sanctity department.  Golden boys, they are.

When finally I reached capacity this day and could no longer endure the torments of my mind creating context for the screams and thwacking noises coming from above me as I prepared dinner, I ascended the stairs to get a better sense of the scene.  What did I find, you ask?  I'll tell you. . .

A boy wrapped tightly in a throw blanket. . .burrito style.  Another boy taking running jumps on top of his straitjacketed burrito brother.  Both screaming wildly.  The burrito boy obviously suffering from some sort of brain injury, because there is no way anybody could mistake that sort of behavior as fun.  So, I intervened.

Me:  (to the younger running and jumping boy)  Son, stop. . .You could really hurt your brother.  He can't defend himself wrapped up like that.  You need to treat him the way you would like to be treated.

Him:  I am.  I LOVE to be tackled.

No comments: