Tuesday

Whiplash on Aisle 7

While standing in a way too long checkout line at Kroger.

Him: (said so clearly and so loudly such that every other Kroger customer from produce to frozen foods could hear) Mom, when we get home can we have whipping practice again?

(heads craning and eyes bulging all around us)


What I should have said: Yes, son. . .You mean, of course, the whipping practice whereby you and your brothers pull long weeds from our overgrown backyard fence and remove all the leaves so that they resemble whip-like devices that you, then, swing at trees rather than at human beings or any sort of animal. Not, of course, some other sort of whipping practice that would involve a form of immoral and abusive corporeal punishment. Yes, you may have whipping practice.

What I really said (as I mindlessly scanned the magazine rack, avoiding eye contact with my children so that they wouldn’t ask me for candy): Huh?. . .oh yeah, sure.

No comments: