
Today is the day our country celebrates our independence from England and the birth of our nation.
Contemporarily, this day is typified by colorful air-born explosions, meats grilled on open fires, jumping into large water holes and waving flags. Yet, over 200 years ago, upon the signing of our Declaration of Independence, of our 56 Founding Fathers:
17 lost their fortunes, 12 had their homes destroyed, 5 became prisoners of war, 1 had two sons imprisoned on the British starving ship Jersey, 1 had a son killed in battle, 1 had his wife die from harsh prison treatment and 9 signers died during the War. Since then, countless others have given as much and even more to ensure the enduring freedoms I enjoy today. This American form of freedom has always come at a great price. So, for today, I'm not going to complain about the price of gas or the price of food. Instead, I'm going to be thankful for the price paid for me to live in the unspeakable comforts my country has afforded me. Why God saw fit for me to be born an American is so far beyond my comprehension. I know that it is a gift and a blessing as well as a great
responsibility. I am so grateful and, hopefully, I can share this awe and appreciation with the little ones He has put in my care.
No comments:
Post a Comment