It's always been a challenging decision for us to put our No. 1 in a traditional school environment. Reading books by the age of 3 and doing algebraic equations (aka “mystery math”) before kindergarten, he has been an avid student for all of his young life. One of our primary considerations is keeping him interested and excited about learning. Yet, I am always delighted and amazed by his knack for finding new things to learn regardless of his academic prowess. This year has been no different.
He’s really learned a lot this year from electrocuting people (thanks Dad), to more information about insects than I know what to do with, to countless opportunities to learn patience, generosity and kindness in a class of 22 other 6 and 7 year olds.
Still, no matter how much information his little brain holds, I know that there are certain things about which he must be gently reminded because he's a child and I'm his mother. . .”Pick up your shoes from the front room” and “Don’t forget your lunch box” and “Share with your brother”. . .It's a constant aim to find the equilibrium of what he's retaining and what he still needs to learn. But this piece of paper, brought home in an end-of-the-year folder, let me know in more ways than one that he is exactly where he should be:
. . .and I'm tickled that among all his many gifts and blessings he wasn't born with an internal spellcheck!
No comments:
Post a Comment