Monday

I'm my own grandpa: A Conversation on Intra-familial Dynamics

Recalling this post, I'm thinking that we may need to do some more work tutoring the boys on the concept of intra-familial relations. Maybe this is par for the course and my children haven't yet met the developmental milestone whereby they understand the dynamics of such family ties, but this most recent Momversation has been on mind and worries me a bit. . .

No. 2 and I were in chatting together while waiting in the carpool pick up. No. 3 was napping in his carseat, so it was an opportune time for some quality communication between my No. 2 and me. Yet, I found myself somewhat distracted as No. 2 waxed poetic on the topics of birthday parties, super powers, and the coolest kinds of water guns. And here begins the Momversation of which I speak:

No. 2: Mom. . .Mom. . .don't you think so?

Me: Huh? I'm sorry, doodle, I didn't hear you. What?

No. 2: MOM!!! (pronounced here with 2 syllables)

Me: I'm sorry, maybe I just forgot. . .what did you say again?

No. 2: Mom, why do you forget things all the time?

Me: Maybe it's because Mommy is getting old and my brain is getting old too, so I can't remember things so well.

No. 2: When are you going to be a grandmother?

Me: When you are an adult.

No. 2: Oh. Will you get a grandson?

Me: I sure do hope so.

No. 2: Me too! Hey, Mom. . .

Me: What, son?

No. 2: Do you think your grandson will come over to your house?

Me: Oh yes! I would love that!


a happy moment passes as we both consider this wonderful possibility. . .

No. 2: Hey Mom. . .When he comes over to your house, will you call me so I can come over and see what that guy looks like?

No comments: